Saturday, January 30, 2010

captial punishment..

Growing up I was taught to treat others how you want to be treated. Therefore, I am for the death penalty. I believe that if you commit a crime so horrendous toward another individual and are convicted to life in prison, you deserve to be put to death. It is a version of eye for an eye. In this version that family that lost a loved one knows that the killer will never get out of prison, will never lead a life in society, or attempt another one of these terrible crimes.

1 comment:

  1. I understand your train of thought, but am uneasy in assuming that every family who has suffered the loss of a loved one would be satisfied with the imposition of the death penalty. Merida Blanco, whose brother was murder stated, "My brother was mugged for the cash in his pocket. Killing those we condemn does not make a safer world. By cranking the wheel of the cycle of violence we amplify it; we infect us all" (http://freenet-homepage.de/dpinfo/victimsfamilies.html). I also have to disagree with the idea that an eye for eye is an accceptable form of punishment. If we're going to solve problems with an eye for an eye mentality, does that mean we start raping rapists? Beating domestic abusers? Where do the lines get drawn?

    ReplyDelete